Windows Movie Maker
A free download in Windows Essentials
Windows Movie Maker is an easy-to-use video editor that comes with Windows operating systems by Microsoft. Since its first release in 2000, Windows Movie Maker has been changed a lot, along with the Windows system. Strictly speaking, it has turned into another movie making software if compared to the original version in Windows ME.
Windows Movie Maker 2.1 for Windows XP is a milestone, but with the time goes by, it was replaced by Windows Live Movie Maker and subsequent Windows Movie Maker 2012. Many people are still in memories of Windows Movie Maker 2.1, while most people have to move forward to the existing Movie Maker in their system.
Anyway, Windows Movie Maker is a simple tool to turn your photo, music and video into a good-looking video with dazzling transitions and effects. You can also easily add titles and credits to your movies. Now the latest version is Windows Movie Maker 12 (2012), which is fully compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 7. As for Windows 10, Microsoft says that Windows Movie Maker is not supported for Windows 10, but you can still download it, install it and use it.
So if you use Windows Movie Maker in Windows 10, is there any problem? Microsoft does NOT know. You take your own risk to use it. You're recommended by Microsoft: "To find an app that's designed for creating and editing video in Windows 10, visit the Windows Store". Here we recommend you to get a better alternative to Windows Movie Maker, e.g. Wondershare Filmora or Movavi Video Editor. Both provides free trial version, which means you can try them and buy one only when you're fully satisfied with it. Or you're able to download the latest WMM for Windows 7, 8 and 10.
Download Movie Maker for Windows 10, 8 & 7
- Easy movie making and online sharing
- Intuitive video effects and animations
- Audio track editing, enhancing and auto matching
- Included in Windows Essentials (File size: 1.2 Mb)
Direct link to download
from Microsoft Official.
- Import Photos and Video from Computer and Device
- Create movies with photos and videos that are already in your PC.
- Instantly import photos and video from your devices.
- Supports mobile phone, digital camera, webcam, memory card, CD, videotape, etc.
- Photo Gallery and Movie Maker work seamlessly (Must be installed together).
- Choose desired video segments or only import partial video when importing from a videotape.
- Enhance Video with Trim, Split and AutoMovie Themes
- Easily trim a video, split a video by easily setting start point, ending point or cut position.
- Speed up or slow down a video to make the it play faster or slower.
- AutoMovie themes help you make thematic movies without worrying about titles, transitions, and effects.
- Add credits based on your tags which are totally customizable.
- Built-in Effects, Animations and Titles
- Over 60 transitions help you create animated movie with ease, highlight to preview instantly.
- Effects are few but it's enough to make basic movies with music.
- Apply your favorite effect to all clips in one click.
- Easily add titles and customize their styles and animations.
- Add background music and edit it with practical tools like auto-matching video length.
- Instantly Share Movies on YouTube, Video or Device
- Directly share your movie with friends on YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Flickr, OneDrive, etc.
- Add your own sharing site to the Create Movie tab using extended plugin.
- Export your video to play on your iPhone, iPad, Windows Phone, Android phone and tablet, Zune device, etc.
- Create video in small file size for sending via email.
- One click to preview your movie in full-screen mode.
- System Requirements of Windows Movie Maker in Windows Essentials
- Operating system: 32- or 64-bit version of Windows 7, or 32- or 64-bit version of Windows 8, or Windows Server 2008 R2. Note: Windows 10 in not in the support list, but you can use it in your own risk.
- Processor: 1.6 GHz or higher with SSE2 support. SSE2 is supported on Pentium 4 processors or newer, and AMD K8 processors or newer.
- Memory: 1 GB of RAM or higher
- Resolution: 1024x576 or above
- Internet connection: High-speed Internet access is recommended for some features.
- Graphics card: Windows Movie Maker requires a graphics card that supports DirectX 9.0c or higher and Shader Model 2 or higher.
- Windows Movie Maker require some features of DirectX 10, which would be installed automatically if they're not found on your computer.
Note that if you don't like WMM and want to remove it, you must be logged on to the computer using an administrator account.
Which Windows Movie Maker Should I Download?
There are many versions of Windows Movie Maker. The following table shows you the right version of Windows Movie Maker for your Windows operating system.
|Operating system||Movie Maker version||How to get it|
No official Movie Maker support, but it's able to run Windows Movie Maker 2012. There may be unknown errors.
|You're recommended to use other movie maker for Windows, like Wondershare Filmora or Movavi Video Editor.|
Windows 8 and Windows 7
Windows Movie Maker 2012
|Download Windows Essentials 2012 (Movie Maker Included) now|
Windows Movie Maker 6.0 or Windows Movie Maker 2.6 (for computers that don't support DirectX 9.0)
Included in Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions. Download WMM 2.6 Here
Windows Movie Maker 2.1
Included in Windows XP SP2 and SP3. Note that Movie Maker 2.1 is not available separately from the Windows XP service packs officially, but someone has hacked and you can download it here.